The department offers programs leading to the master of arts (MA) and doctor of philosophy (PhD) degrees. There is also a joint PhD program in applied mathematics with The University of Alabama system campuses at Birmingham and Huntsville.
Why Come to the University of Alabama for Graduate Studies?
- We have a department with many active researchers, and we are hiring new faculty members with strong research profiles.
- Our graduates are very successful in getting academic jobs, mostly those focusing on teaching or at liberal arts schools.
- We have a medium sized program with a great community.
- We have a diverse community of graduate schools.
- Tuscaloosa is a medium sized city that is a great place to live.
Department Research Page
The Department Research Page summarizes Faculty Research.
Jobs our Graduates Get
Below are some of the schools or companies that have hired our graduates in the last five years:
- University of Alabama
- Samford University
- Misericordia University
- Young Harris College
- Rice University
- Union Country College
- Wilkes University
- James Madison University
- King-Abdulaziz University at Saudi Arabia
- Bethel University
- Colorado State University
- University of West Alabama
- University of Alabama
- Cottey College
- University of Hawaii-West Oahu
- University of Georgia
- Sewanee : The University of the South at Tennessee
- Wingate University in Wingate NC
- Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
- University of Wisconsin College
- Michigan State
- State Unversity of New York at Oneonta
- Iphone Clinic (owner)
- Coastal Carolina University
- University of Wisconsin- Barron County
- University of North Georgia
- Princess Sumaya University for Technology
Information about Courses and Requirements
All prospective graduate students must apply for admission to the University of Alabama Graduate School. Complete information about graduate admissions can be found on the UA Graduate School website, graduate.ua.edu.
To be admitted for a graduate degree, students are expected to satisfy the University of Alabama Graduate School’s general requirements for admission. Each applicant must submit scores on the verbal, quantitative, and analytical portions of the Graduate Record Examination; the advanced portion is preferred but not required.
United States citizens/permanent residents
United States citizens and permanent residents are expected to complete their applications at least six weeks before the anticipated date of registration.
If you are requesting admission and financial aid for the fall semester, your application should be completed before January 15.
International applicants (non-citizens/permanent residents)
International applicants outside of the United States are expected to submit their applications at least eight months before the anticipated date of registration. If an international applicant is currently residing inside the United States, then he or she should apply at least four months before the registration.
An applicant whose application is completed well in advance of our deadlines will be more likely to be admitted and to receive his or her admission and immigration materials in time for visa and travel arrangements to be made.
If you are also requesting financial aid for the fall semester, your application should be completed before January 15.