Thank you for your interest in pursuing an advanced degree in mathematics at The University of Alabama. It is our goal to provide an atmosphere that will allow you to learn the theory and practice of mathematics, to begin to make original contributions to the field, and to experience the self-fulfillment of working with dedicated faculty members, students, and postdoctoral associates in areas of common interests.
Why Come to The University of Alabama for Graduate Studies?
- We have a department with many active researchers, and we are hiring new faculty members with strong research profiles.
- Our graduates are very successful in getting academic jobs, mostly those focusing on teaching or at liberal arts schools.
- We have a medium sized program with a great community.
- We have a diverse community of graduate schools.
- Tuscaloosa is a medium sized city that is a great place to live.
- Our alumni have ended up in a diverse set of mathematics-related careers and places.
All prospective graduate students must apply for admission to The University of Alabama Graduate School. Complete information about graduate admissions can be found on the UA Graduate School website. In addition, a detailed list of application requirements can be found on the How to Apply page.
To be admitted for a graduate degree, students are expected to satisfy The University of Alabama Graduate School’s general requirements for admission. Each applicant must submit scores on the verbal, quantitative, and analytical portions of the Graduate Record Examination; the advanced portion is preferred but not required.