Across the United States, tens of thousands of middle school students participate in the prestigious MATHCOUNTS competitions each year. The competition at the chapter and state levels includes three parts of written tests: Sprint, Target, and Team Rounds. It also has an oral Count-down Round, where top contestants who excel in the first two rounds, Sprint and Target Rounds, are competed in a head-to-head fashion, just like the television show “Jeopardy”.
A MATHCOUNTS competition was held at the UA Math & Science Education Building on February 26, 2022. In 2022, 76 students from 7 middle schools took part in the MATHCOUNTS Tuscaloosa Chapter competition.
The MATHCOUNTS-Tuscaloosa Chapter is lead by the following people:
- Dr. Aijun Song, Associate Professor, Electrical & Computer Engineering
- Dr. Chuntian Wang, Assistant Professor, Mathematics
- Mrs. Andrea Ziegler, Director for Community Education, Center for Community-Based Partnerships
- Ms. Rachna Agrawal, Technical Support Analyst, Ellucian
- Dr. Yuanzhen Shao, Assistant Professor, Mathematics
- Mr. Kenneth Webb, Secondary Curriculum Specialist, Tuscaloosa School District
- Dr. Shan Zhao, Professor, Mathematics